Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Pathumphone songthaew


I was recently reading back over some old blog entries and managed to confirm my suspicion that I very rarely get round to actually talking about Laos.  Every month I start off with brilliant ideas and noble intentions to write about some aspect of the culture but when I sit down to write, I get easily distracted by whatever throwaway thought happens to be occupying me that day.  I have pages and pages of the beginnings of serious blog entries but I tend to get no further than the second or third paragraph before opening up a new document to start discussing the relative merits of ‘Mama Cup’ versus ‘Oh Ricey!’ instant noodles.  My recent ode to a motorcycle is a particular low point and as I come to the end of my placement, I really feel I should try and record some of my thoughts about Laos.

And yet, the only thing I keep coming back to is who a Lao equivalent to the man on the Clapham omnibus might be.  In Australia you have the man on the Bondi tram and in Hong Kong it’s apparently the man on the Shaukiwan tram.  I have vivid, slightly xenophobic and no doubt wildly inaccurate images of what both these chaps might look like but I’m really struggling with a Lao image. 

Now this brings me to the very nub of my problem, I’ve become fixated on creating a humorous mental image rather than discussing the different components of Lao society that might make up an idealised ‘everyman’.  It’s also interesting that the man on the Clapham omnibus is a legal construct and this could be the start of a discussion about legal protection and representation in Laos but it’s not and the vision of Lao people wearing bowler hats keeps popping back into my mind. 
Too busy working to play
I’ve been thinking about the same subject for more than a week now and I’ve managed to come up with a few likely subjects.  I’m hoping that jotting them down here will help dislodge the thought from my mind and I can get on with some proper work. 

No. 1: The man on the corner of the petanque court.  I have almost immediately discounted this one, mainly because there is no indication of mode of travel, although I suppose the point is that you can see people surrounding petanque courts all over Laos at any time of the day, not going anywhere at all; just focussed on the game.  The courts seem particularly busy at around 4.30pm or knocking off time but lots of government offices come equipped with one and you can generally find someone who’s up for a game, regardless of the time.  We don’t have one at my office but my first thought when I found a sleeping woman on the floor of my lab this lunchtime was ‘careful, don’t wake her’, so you get the idea.

Some rice and some machinery
No. 2: The farmer on the trailer of a tok tok.  This is included on the basis that most folk are still involved in farming in one way or another.  Actually, lots of people claim to be farmers when I’ve seen no actual evidence of them ever doing any farm work but perhaps they do it secretly when I’m not looking.  They’re probably not that different from the city types at home, who claim to be farmers when they mean they invested their money in land because it’s a pretty good sink for large tranches of investment.  Well, not quite like that, a bit less conceited perhaps but I have something of a chip on my shoulder about people claiming to be farmers when they’re not.  Some folk here have other jobs but are clearly hedging their bets and get labourers to manage family land.  Others work ridiculously hard at keeping down a full time job and also try some subsistence production on the side and I have no beef with either group.  For example, the rice farmer I most recently worked with is an engineer at the rice mill by day but also manages just over a hectare in his home village, meaning his management decisions are largely driven by his time availability.  It’s got me wondering whether I couldn’t do something similar at home, with some low input activities.    

On the other hand, some faux farmers drive me mad, like the chap I had a strange encounter with at a preparatory training course before coming to Laos.  We were asked to group ourselves on the basis of career.  I duly stood with people who had claimed a link to agriculture but it transpired the closest person to me worked in IT.

‘Eh, you said you were in agriculture.’

‘Um, well I did this organic farm exchange thing and picked grapes in France.’

‘Oh, so you went on holiday?’

I didn’t say that last bit but you can see how easily I get distracted by trifles.  I really love trifle.  I will be asking my Mum to make me one when I get home in just over a month.  When we were small, she used to make a thing called ‘surprise pudding’ which was essentially layered cake and custard with huge quantities of stale booze (my parents don’t really drink and can easily keep a bottle of sherry until it comes back into fashion) and hundreds of thousands on top of whipped cream, bleeding their e-numbers slowly across the pristine, white surface.  It was incredible and delicious but I’m still not sure what the surprise was supposed to be.

Moving on, how about…

No. 3: The government employee on the Mun ferry.  These references are all quite South specific, which is a bit of a flaw but there’s probably an equivalent further up the Mekong and Clapham could just as well be replaced with Didsbury.

Mounlapamok is a district with fairly poor road connections, so during the wet season in particular, it is advisable to get there by crossing the river on the diesel belching and somewhat infrequent, car ferry that covers the crossing.  This normally gets filled with government workers of all hues either in Hilux trucks or on motorcycles and a surprising number of people do seem to be attached to government offices in one way or another.

Right, I think I might have hit on an answer.
Heading home from market

No. 4: The woman on the Pathumphone songthaew. 

Pathumphone is a bit suburban in that the district is far enough from Pakse to be independent but close enough to support commuters.  Each day sees lots of transit between the two areas for both work but more importantly for products to be sold in the large Pakse markets, which is how lots of folk really do make their money, whether through sale of their own or neighbours’ produce, or imported, manufactured products from Thailand.  There is a huge diversity in the group, particularly concerning wealth but I think people who travel on the songthaew, which is more or less like a bus and a cheap-ish mode of travel, probably represent the average.  Then, if you assume it’s a woman, you can also create an easier stereotype of a lady wearing a sinh, which is a convenient stand-in for the bowler hats that were bugging me earlier.

Sprained wrist
So, there we have it, after two years and in my last week of work in Laos, I finally write a blog entry about Laos, instead of which puddles I’ve stepped in, or how many times I’ve fallen over in the previous month.  It was only one rather dramatic fall, in case you’re wondering but I have a sprained wrist, broken Kindle and torn jeans to show for it.

Next month will be a compilation of entries from my Lao road trip which starts on the 2nd March, so I think there should at least be some pretty pictures to finish things off for this blog.  

2 comments:

  1. Thank you Susan for sharing your story and insight to this beautiful country.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been and continues to be my very great pleasure but I'm not sure I've done the country justice.

      Delete